escape lane in a downhill section called "Wrecking Cul-de sac"
(suppose it's correct in one sense...)
compagnie aérienne de Krasnoyarsk / airline based in Krasnoyarsk
marque d'eau minérale et de lait : PINAR
Iran : fake Coca-Cola named ARSO-COLA
PRESTON UNIVERSITY is in Rawalpindi,
not in Preston, Lancashire
where I studied
men : "How many brothers you have ?"
-Me : "I have one sister"
men, looking sorry : "no brothers ?"
-Little girl : "Please
give me a pen"
-Me : "Sorry I don't
-Little girl : "Please
give me anything"
China : many
funny bits here, normal it's the biggest country. Many of the following
are examples of "chinglish", the result from word-to-word translation
of Chinese into English. Although we should not take laugh at the Chinese
since they make the effort to translate, we can have a little fun reading
these. Some you can guess the meaning, others you just cannot....may be
there isn't a meaning ("mei you" like they say).
- From a book to learn English : China
must open itself to the world
- In a small town : Dr Zhuang clinic
for complicated diseases
- In a hotel, the most expensive room
was called "magnificent room", the next one down the list was
- In many hotels, the form foreigners
have to fill in is called "Registration form for passengers from
- In museums or temples : Please
don't the photo
- On the doors in the train : Be
discreet of crush injuries
- Also in the train : Valuables, please don't lay aside
- In a train station : Hall directory
- In Kashgar (about as far away from
the sea as you can be) : Pacific ocean advertisement
group / Sea wind restaurant
- Near the Terra Cotta museum : Trip
- Huashan sacred mountains, along the
(paved) footpath : No walking while sightseeing, no sightseeing
while walking / Be careful the safe /
- The sun is setting above the storm
picking rock. The place of Chenxiang split the rescue his morter (on a rock up the mountain)
- On the road, near Kangding : Piggy
criesoilt to Heaven
- Sign in a small town : Tengchong
tourist bureau propaganda (in Chinese the word for 'information'
and 'propaganda' is the same.....)
- In very big letters, on a wall in
a big city : Be qualified citizens, build a sanitary city
- In a bus, before setting off for a
long bumpy ride on windy dirt roads, they gave a plastic bag with
"This may be used for airsickness or for waste" written on
-Me, pointing a bottle of
water : "chinese : 'shui', Uighur ... ??"
lady : "No !"
-Me : "Tomorrow I will
go to Kunming."
man : "No !"